In 1397, the Welser Prew was alluded to for the first time in Munich. The ownership changed often until 1854, when the brewery moved to the location it still uses today. In 1867, it became the largest brewery in town, and in 1909 began to deliver beer to North America.
In 1922, the Spaten-Brauerei and Franziskaner-Leist-Bräu united to form a joint stock company. In 1924, the advertising slogan “Lass Dir raten, trinke Spaten” (literally “Let yourself be advised, drink Spaten”) was invented. It is still in use today. The brewery reached the production of 1 million hectolitres (850,000 US bbl) in 1992.
In 1997, the brewery combined with the Löwenbräu AG to form the Spaten-Löwenbräu-Gruppe. The Spaten-Löwenbräu-Gruppe was sold in 2003 to Interbrew. In 2004, Interbrew and the Brazilian Companhia de Bebidas das Américas (AmBev) united to form InBev. The brewhouse in the Marsstraße in Munich was closed due to a lack of workload in 2006 and is now the museum of the company. In 2010, the brewery employed 500 workers and had an annual production volume of approximately 2.4 million hectolitres (2,000,000 US bbl), making it one of the largest breweries in Bavaria.